How it works in SwissInfoCloud
VPN services have different functions in the world of Internet communication and security. SwissInfoCloud uses two of their main functions:
- Creating a tunnel to encrypt all data sent through an unsecured network, such as the Internet, in communication with SwissInfoCloud servers;
- Creating a secure, single point for login
SwissInfoCloud uses high-tech gateways from VPN companies Cisco and FortiGate
To connect to the VPN, users enter their username and password (unique for each user). VPN-client software connects to the SwissInfoCloud server, and the password entered is then checked in the system. Only if the username and password are entered correctly is the VPN encrypted tunnel run, and the user gets access to the SwissInfoCloud services.
Connecting to VPN
- From the PC - SSL VPN or IPsec VPN through the web or VPN-client
- From mobile devices (Android, iPad, iPhone) - IPSec VPN through the device settings
- If you purchase a dedicated server, you can establish a permanent connection from the IPSec VPN-tunnel to the client's office (gateway to gateway).
- Mac OS
- Android 2.3 and higher
- iOS (iPhone & iPad)
Use two-factor authentication!
The use of both VPN+RSA OTP is possible: VPN level authorization with one-time password token.
The following VPN technologies are used:
- SSL VPN (client to gateway) RSA encryption | SHA1 authentication | 2048 bit key length
- IPsec VPN (client to gateway) AES 256 encryption | SHA1 authentication | 256 bit key length
- IPsec VPN (gateway to gateway) AES 256 encryption | SHA1 authentication | any key length
SwissInfoCloud does not provide the Internet traffic routing through a remote gateway